Monday, June 3, 2013

Noteworthy

I love a good note. Whether it's a post-it, a hand written card, or on a scrap piece of whatever, the surprise of unexpected words always makes me smile. Call it sentimental but in high school I was once slid a lunch napkin with "To Lacey:" and a flower drawn on it and I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. Swag points to that handsome sophomore. I can only imagine what his game looks like these days. And there is nothing better than coming out to your car, getting in, and seeing a note waiting your arrival underneath your windshield wiper. A sentence or two, maybe a "hi", doesn't matter. I love it. 

Not that I wouldn't love a good passed note these days either, folded like origami as a bonus, but it gets me thinking of the glory days of middle school and "dating". If I said to my mom, "I'm going out with Robbie", she'd say, "Oh really, where are you going?". A real comedian, my mother. What it really meant was that I was passing notes with him between classes, probably wrote him back on the bus ride to school, and between rec league soccer games on the weekend we may have begged our parents to drive us to the mall. Pure romance. For a while I saved all those gems and when moving to our new home, read through each of them. Between rocking skorts, Adidas windbreaker suits, a year with braces, and what was in these notes - all I can really say is that I am thankful social media was not around. No need to have any record of my appearance, nor my awesome attempt at being 'cool'. My talent show dance in the 8th grade probably spoke for itself - - an awesome routine to La Fiesta by Will Smith. And yes, it was featured on his Willennium CD. I bet the notes were pouring in after that showing. 

Pass somebody a note today. It's a guaranteed smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment