Tuesday, April 17, 2012

RIP Soggy Shoes

The unthinkable happened…..almost 2 months ago. And I am just now coming to terms that what I thought I saw is actually true. Soggy Shoes is dead. My homeless man is no longer loitering the overpasses of Greenville, but free loading the heavens above.

Soggy Shoes got struck by a car. My homeless man seemed to be trying to crossover the street when a car merging onto hwy 385, clipped him. At first I couldn’t believe my eyes and didn’t want to believe it was him, but as I approached the man laying in the fetal position on the side of the highway with people standing all around on their cell phones, I took a good look and felt strongly it was him. Long, grey beard, same army green jacket, and of course most likely what once was a pair of soggy shoes. Plus, I thought I saw that wrinkly memorable face. You don’t get hugged and told ‘God bless you’ by a damp stranger and forget them. I didn’t want to believe it because he didn’t seemed to be carrying the umbrella I once gave him either, but let’s be honest - - while seeing someone get struck by a car may be awful with a slight slip of “holy shit” from the lips, it also is something only a few may actually see in a lifetime. It was not pleasant, but it could have been worse. Much worse of a hit for sure, but it still didn't look optimistic….Though emotionally come to think of it, he was headed towards the movie theatre. The exact theatre that I gave him several left over movie passes, too. Naturally I thought oh dear, I hope this wasn't my fault. The irony was even worse, I gave him tickets to a movie called: Gone. The plot wasn't ironic, but the title hit the nail on the head. I immediately called my mother with whom I’ve discussed this homeless man several times - - first name: Soggy, last name: Shoes. Our conversation went something like this.

Mom, Oh my god, I think I just saw Soggy Shoes get hit by a car
What?
My homeless man, Soggy Shoes, I’m almost positive I just saw him get clipped. He’s laying there next to a mini-van on the side of 385 and Woodruff
How did it happen?
He was trying to cross the road and just got hit
How do you know it was him?
I don’t, it just looks a lot like him and this was his territory. An ambulance just arrived.
Well, what are you gonna do?
(Which probably meant, why did you call me? What am I supposed to do?)
What do you mean?
Does he look dead?
I don’t know he’s not in the ambulance, but he’s definitely not moving. I’m passing them now
Well why don’t you go to the hospital
…….long pause…..is she serious? I couldn’t help but start to laugh at the situation. Yes, I am a horrible human being……
And do what mom? I don’t even know his name, what do I say, “um excuse me nurse, did a homeless man just get hit by a car?”
(at this point I think we are both laughing...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree)
Well, I can’t imagine a lot of homeless people all being just hit by a car on the same day, just go in and ask
And then what? Say, I don’t know his name but I gave him an umbrella once and some free food, but we are kind of friends because I waived to him a lot. Can I sit with him? Then get a no, he’s dead, or yea follow me. And then what? I’m either planning my best homeless friends funeral to which I’d say Dear Friends of Soggy Shoes….or I’m left with a homeless man who needs more help. And I’d probably end up trying to give it to him.
Yea. Yea, I guess that is a little odd.

I’m not gonna lie, I thought about it but that was a moment when I decided I got a little too into this unspoken friendship between me and Soggy Shoes. I have waited 2 months. His corner has been since taken over and I haven’t seen him once. RIP Soggy Shoes. May their continue to be Hardee’s in Heaven and may your tooth forever let you chew.  

*For the story of Soggy Shoes, click HERE*

No comments:

Post a Comment