Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Can't Believe It's Not Gutter

"Sorry, I can't, I have bowling league"
"No, I'm serious"


Not an irregular conversation for Thursday nights this year. A great friend and old roommate of mine, David, has put together a bowling league among friends for the past 3 years in Greenville. This is my second year partaking. My first year in Greenville I moved to town a few weeks too late and missed out, making last year a real treat! Meredith, Kaci, Pam, and I were team - I Can't Believe It's Not Gutter - and with a name like that we had to get matching t-shirts.....and if you get matching t-shirts, you might as well get air brushed ones, right? Right.




Last year there were 12 teams to the league and we played Tuesday nights, starting at 9pm. That would make for a pretty late night, so this year we fought for an earlier league time. Thus, playing now with only 6 teams, on Thursdays, at 7.....the bowling alley is packed with leagues on Thursdays. Lets just say that we are the minority when it comes to age, skill, and well, everything. Last year we could only play 3 at a time each week, where as this year its a full 4 player commitment, no alternates.


Even though I lack what some may call 'talent', I was pretty hardcore about being there each week and wanting to bowl, so Kaci and Meredith were gracious enough to take turns playing. We had what we thought was a pretty decent set-up. We had Pam "the black widow" bowling with what appeared to be a 12 pounder and a throw like a fast pitch softball pitcher. Watching our competitors faces (which were mostly always male and mesmerized by the speed) was priceless. Not to mention the scores she'd throw up. Pam, I hope you are getting in some bowls over is Australia, don't get rusty on me.....you too, Merrick. Us other 3 were always hit or miss when it came to "being on". When you (meaning me) rarely get over 130 (minus the handicap....thank god for handicaps) you want to take a picture of the screen. Yes, we were those people. I didn't realize how 'bad' we were about it until this years league, when someone started making fun of me for it.






I guess we did it just a little too much? Anyway, our scores always seemed to me a massive roller coaster and this year, doesn't appear to be much different. With Pam in Australia, Kaci in Columbia, and Mer working on a great new house, this year has become what some teams call "a rebuilding year". With friends Hannah, Lauren, and Mills we have tightly secured last place going into the 6th week of the 12 week season....and when I say tightly secured I mean we are dominating last place. Killing it. We quite frankly are the most inconsistent group of bowlers I have ever seen. I, for some odd reason, bowled the game of my life the first week.....which happens to be the week you determine your handicap. What...an idiot.




Unfortunately for team "I Can't Believe It's Not Gutter" I haven't bowled anything close since. Mills and Lauren have had their share of 'great games' and Hannah, well Hannah is having a great time :) haha. Hannah is definitely consistent and is slowly improving so we hope for big things to come. If nothing else her fashion statement in shoes have been a real hit. I don't think we have played one team yet that hasn't commented on these gems.



Wish us luck.


Just a taste of our sweet action






4 comments:

  1. I love your shirts...we have the same name in our bowling league (yeah we are cool haha). Would you be able to send me a high resolution picture of the logo so we can get it put on bowling shirts? It would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Jon Lewis (jonlewis74@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jon,
      you can get a PDF version here if you want.

      http://www.thecherneys.com/images/i-cant-believe-its-not-gutter.pdf

      I can update the slogan too. (60% beer etc.) I'm just glad people are using it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jon, believe it or not, they are actually airbrushed tshirts. We got them done at some kiosk in middle of our mall. You could probably take the picture of the logo up top to a tshirt place and they could recreate it. Good luck and happy bowling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to make some shirts for my bowling team as well. I would probably want the logo on the back and names on front. Brian are you the one I would need to contact?
    dcarl982@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete